There is nothing on earth better than a bowl of chicken soup with homemade egg noodles. Of course my grandmother’s noodles were best but aren’t our grandmother’s recipes always the best. I like to cook the noodles separately from the soup, it keeps the broth clear and they don’t absorb all the broth.
Homemade Egg Noodles
- Separate 1 egg (you only need the yolk)
- Dissolve 1/2 tsp of salt in 1/4 cup of water
- Add the egg yolk and mix
- Pour 1 cup of flour into deep bowl, make a small groove in the middle and pour egg and water mix into it
- Using a fork carefully mix flour and egg mix together into soft dough
- Dust wooden board with flour generously, pour dough from the bowl and knead with your hands until stift and elastic
- Cover kneaded dough with plastic wrap and leave aside for about 20 mins
- Cut dough in half and roll out (cover other half with plastic so it won’t dry out)
- Roll out until very thin, you should almost be able to see through, add flour as needed to keep from sticking to board.
- Let sheet dry a bit then fold up like jelly roll
- Slice into strips, spread out onto clean cotton towels to dry
- Break into pieces and store in jar for a few days or freeze