- Mussels – 2.5 pounds (1 bag)
- Butter – 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Shallot, finely chopped – 3-4
- Garlic, finely chopped – 5 cloves
- Plum tomatoes, chopped – 1/2 cup (reserve some for garnish)
- Italian parsley, finely chopped – 1/3 cup (reserve some for garnish)
- Thyme, dried – 1 teaspoon
- White wine – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
Clean the mussels. Remove the “beard” and scrub them under running water with a brush to remove any sand. Discard the mussels whose shells are not tightly shut or cracked
In a large pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
Add the shallot and cook for 3 minutes until it’s soft.
Add the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
Add the diced tomatoes, parsley, thyme, wine, salt and pepper. Bring to boil.
Add the mussels, stir well to coat them in the sauce, cover the pot and cook for 8-10 minutes over medium heat.
Pour the mussels and the broth into bowls and serve with crusty bread or over cooked pasta.
Throw out any mussels that did not open.
This should make 3 main portions